Apply for DBpedia Spotlight on GSoC 2013
We have included in this page a template of what would be an awesome application to the Google Summer of Code 2013 with DBpedia. Feel free to use these questions as guiding questions for building your project proposal. While you are working on it, feel free to discuss your ideas with the DBpedia GSoC team on our mailing list. After your application is ready, you have to send it through the GSoC2013 websitein order to be eligible.
Template Application Form
- Your Name:
- Email Address:
- Instant messenger name and protocol (if any):
- Any professional (e.g. github, linkedin) or personal (e.g. blog) URLs you would like to list:
- Project Name: One of our suggestions?, or your own idea
- Project Description: Your own description of the project and why it's interesting
- If you would be willing and able to work on another of our suggested project ideas instead, which ones?
- Please describe why you are interested in this specific project:
- Please describe a tentative project architecture or an approach to it:
- Please detail an expected project plan and timeline with milestones:
- Please include in your plan how will you evaluate the performance of your contribution (in terms of time, or accuracy, or both), as well as which data sets you will use for that evaluation.
- Please describe in a few lines your Scala/Java/programming knowledge or experience (if any):
- Please describe any experience with Lucene/SQL/NoSQL databases (if any):
- Please describe any Natural Language Processing/Information Extraction experience (if any):
- Please describe any other project related experience (if any):
- Please provide one or more URLs to code samples that you have written in the past or to DBpedia Spotlight's SVN/issue tracker for which you have provided a fix in the form of a pull request. (Optional but highly appreciated if provided. Proof of code ownership is also required.):
- Please describe any previous Open Source development experience:
- Why are you interested in Open Source development ?
Background & education
- What school do you attend?
- What is your specialty/major at the school?
- How many years have you attended there?
- What is your current research experience? Please point us to the best paper you have read (preferably in the context of your project proposal), and the best paper you have written, if any.
- Would you be interested in co-authoring a conference paper with your mentors about your work in GSoC 2013?
- What city/country will you be spending this summer in?
- How much time do you expect to have for this project (est. per day and per week)?
- Please list jobs, summer classes, and/or vacations that you'll need to work around:
- Did you participate in a previous Summer of Code project? If so, please describe your project and experience:
- Have you applied or do you plan to apply for any other 2013 Summer of Code projects? If so, which ones?
- Why did you decide to apply for the Google Summer of Code ?
- Why did you decide to apply for a DBpedia Spotlight project ?
- ... in 2 sentences, why should we take YOU ?